If you’re looking for your US Revolutionary War patriot ancestors, here is a list of ten great websites that will be very helpful for everything from locating era history to individual genealogies. The sites listed are not ranked, and are not in any particular order. Just 10 great sites!
1. FamilySearch Revolutionary War Wiki Page
History and links, including links to State-by-State Revolutionary War Records.
2. FamilySearch Revolutionary War Cemetery Records Wiki
Links to websites featuring burial indices, cemeteries, and grave registrations.
3. Daughters of the American Revolution Genealogical Research System
Includes links to Revolutionary War Records (RevWar), searchable Genealogical Records Committee Index (GRC), Bible Records and Transcriptions (Bibles) and more.
4. National Archives list of Military Resources: American Revolution
Available resources at the National Archives.
5. Ancestry.com: Revolutionary War Military Records 1775-1783
Ancestry has 33 collections with millions of records spanning the length of the war and beyond. Many public libraries and Family History Centers allow free access to Ancestry.com.
6. Fold3 Revolutionary War Collection
Peruse complete pension files, court appearances, prisoner lists and more. Often free access available at Family History Centers.
7. Google Books “Revolutionary War Genealogy” Free access to biographies, genealogies, histories and more. Many full text available.
8. Olive Tree Genealogy
Find many revolutionary war-era record transcriptions, and lists of available records on other major sites.
9. Library of Congress Maps and Atlas of battles.
Find all kinds of original maps of locations, battles, and more to help you place your ancestors in their location history.
10. Library of Congress: Chronicling America
To find out what newspapers might be available for the time/location you’re researching, find info on all American newspapers published since 1690, including their years and locations, and find a library that may have the microfilm. The site also has historic newspapers from 1789. There are many digitized newspapers online, both free and subscription, that also include many old newspapers.